Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Amos McGee takes an international flight


The photo to your left was taken (with a cell phone, so let's not judge too harshly) in the Arboretum in Ann Arbor. I've been spending a lot of time here lately in the mornings, before the heat completely takes over and makes everything completely unlivable. This second half of summer weather has been oppressive. I'm getting through it, but not with a good attitude.

However, it is keeping me indoors and I am getting my work done. I'm thinking about a new book and trying to tie the book I've been working on all up together in a nice clean package. I've got some shaky legs about that one. But maybe I'll finish strong.

In the meantime, I found out that our little Amos McGee has released in Japan.






















I haven't seen a copy in person, but I have seen some images. The publisher took the images where I drew words like "City Zoo" in the sign and translated them. For instance, the original is below–


And now the Japanese translation. They did an amazing job. I was really blown away by the level of care they gave each letter.


Here are two more examples. They translated everything! Including little tiny things I wouldn't expect anyone to notice. There is a tiny sign in the back of the zoo below that says "eat vegetables!" for instance...




That's it for now!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting the "Amos in Japan" images. I have been looking for the Japanese cover. I too am very impressed that the publisher took such care to preserve the details!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Erin,
    I work at a library which is located on the Jersey Shore and can't begin to tell you how much I love Amos and his friends. Well, I suppose I COULD but it would take a very long time. Your illustrations are amazing. I'm going to do a children's program in December based on "A Sick Day for Amos McGee". Thanks to you and your husband for creating such a phenomenal book! Best, tara sullivan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Erin,

    I'm a huge fan of your work since I saw Amos :)

    I HAVE TO say that this is an amazing work. I had never seen an illustration fit so perfectly into a story.

    I live in Rio and study publishing, and I am writing my thesis about illustrations and psychology - btw, the brazilian edition of your book is breathtaking.

    Congratulations, I really hope there is more to come soon!

    Best,
    Thaís

    ReplyDelete