Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Well, I left you in May.


Hello, again. It's June 1st now and I've been away from this blog for a while. Philip, Wednesday, and I had moved during May and then were without the internet for a couple ofweeks after that. But here we are again in the digital age. We moved into a 100 year-old barn that is still in downtown Ann Arbor (the image on your left). We live across the street from atrain station,too. This place should end up being full of inspiration. Or at least a train book.

We have a lot more space to work now, which we are happily adjusting to. Below is our desk area now. For those of you who are artists, we get northern light through those windows!



We've had some good fortune with the new book, A Sick Day for Amos McGee. Have I mentioned it yet? Did you know I drew the pictures in that book? Did I happen to mention it's now available in stores?


Also, Phil and I just did our first event for the book at Madison Square Park hosted by the park and Time Out New York Kids Magazine. It was loud and scary for me because it required talking but we got through it. It was actually really fun and I felt a little honored to be there. They wrote a nice review in this month's issue of the magazi
ne, which you can see here.

A long time ago I showed a sketch of a bunch of bears. Here is how that turned out.

That's all for now!

5 comments:

  1. hey! I just saw you guys were featured over at Seven impossible things before breakfast blog..and saw the beautiful barn you guys are now living at...wow! So jealous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read the "Seven Impossible Things" e-interview. Very nice. I laughed when I saw the accordion on the shelf in the pawn shop!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi.

    I don't know how to begin this, my first piece of fan mail.

    I live in New Orleans with an awesome husband. We have 4 little girls--twins who are three-and-a-half, a two-year-old, and a six-month-old. We don't have a t.v. We do have lots of books. My husband teaches ancient languages. I stay at home with my babies. We read a lot.

    I picked up a copy of "A Sick Day for Amos McGee" last Wednesday at our local Borders. I picked it up based solely on the cover (what do they say about judging a book?), sat down and read it, and decided immediately I couldn't leave the store without it. So we bought it and toted it home on the streetcar. I was exceedingly thankful that it didn't rain on the way home.

    We've been reading it every night. I shared the illustrations with my husband and we've been talking about them all day.

    Once upon a time, I got an M.A. in photography. I did some printmaking, too. I taught my husband to do linoleum prints by hand.

    I love your book. It's beautiful. I'm impressed. Thank you for creating something I'm so thrilled to look at over and over and to add to our collection.

    My favorite parts are the "incidentals": the curlicues at the ends of horizontal lines, the teeny mouse waiting at her own teeny bus stop sign, the bird walking with a tie on, the omnipresent red balloon, the reddish tint on Amos's sick nose.

    So. Thank you for Amos, and we're looking forward to more!

    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jenny,

    I've been lucky lately in that whenever I'm feeling a little down or uncertain some good news has come my way. This week it was your comment on my terribly neglected blog.

    Thank you so much.

    I'm so glad you like it. Your comments have fulfilled a little dream of mine. It's really rewarding to be part of a regular bedtime story. The former bookseller in me really wants to talk books with you for all of those girls you have!

    Speaking of talking shop, I snuck a peek at your(?) photographs. So nice! I used to love taking pictures and one day hope to again. There was once a hike-over-a-river camera tragedy in my life. Since then I have lacked a good camera. But I love the feeling you're allowed taking photographs.

    Anyway, thank you again. If you'd like, if you look at my profile on this blog you can email me. Phil and I could make your family a little bookplate.

    Sincerely,
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete