Wednesday, May 20, 2009

This post may not be appropriate for children.

Some years ago I was hired to work in a bookstore in New York. I learned a lot, I met friends who never cease to help me out (and I have yet to pay back), and without them I wouldn't be drawing and I don't think Phil would have been published yet. At this job I met my friend, illustrator George O'Connor, who is quite funny. I am (especially at first) a very nervous person. I'm shy, I can be really awkward, a little inept socially, and, in polite company, a little prudish. For example, I get preoccupied with regret and forget to walk while moving my arms. George pointed it out.

George would rearrange the children's toys to model age-inappropriate behavior. It was funny, but maybe not the first or second place my mind would go. Also, a lot of children's books are made without thinking of innuendo. But George was pretty good at finding them. This thing seems to happen all the time. I'm sure you can think of a statue or painting where there was an unintended consequence.

I give you this background information because while I was illustrating my first book, each spread got the George O'Connor test. I had a few worrisome characters to deal with. An elephant who had a trunk and a tortoise...who has a tortoise head, which could be surprisingly phallic.


I think I did okay. Maybe when the book comes out, George will find something. But George, dear friend, if you read this, you were in my thoughts for every picture I made.


That's it for today! Click on the images to see them up close. 'Til next time.

6 comments:

  1. Don't be! The point real point is that I'm too naive to think of these things myself. So I need your help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just came across your blog and saw your drawings...they're beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete