Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Rain and the return of Edna.

My blogging thoughts are a little muddied this week. I'm trying to get a handle on a new idea. I am both painfully avoiding it while somehow simultaneously fretting over little details that don't matter yet. Luckily, it's raining outside. I'm chained to the house. I must work.

I tend to tape things to the wall and stare at them for weeks on end. Sometimes longer. I'll do this with artwork that is 99% done, little drawings by Philip, and pictures that I like. I really like using abandoned old photographs I find in junk stores or antique shops. I steal from them a few different ways (which I'm sure I'll dissect in subsequent posts).

With a modern photograph, there is only a short delay from making a fake smile and the flash going off. In these old photographs, the subjects had to stay still a little too long and most of the time you can see their face falling into an awkward stare. I like that.

And so we find ourselves back to my new ideas and Edna (see post below if you've missed her introduction). Edna has been posted to the wall for awhile as well. She's also making her way into some sketches, like the one below.

Click on the image to see it up close. Thanks for reading!

3 comments:

  1. Great picture of Wednesday--life in the shadows.
    R Stead

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm loving the thought and care that goes into each of your posts. Hope your creative pursuits are fruitful.

    ReplyDelete