Saturday, January 29, 2011

An Untitleable Post.


So! Nothing new here. Same ol', same ol'. I barely can think of anything to type.






It's difficult to know how to begin this post. It's been a couple of weeks and, although I do remember my own name now, not much else has settled in. On the other hand, I have a lot of people to write ballads for, but I suppose the beauty of a blog is that I can write multiple posts. The largest thank yous and the sincerest moments of humility still need to be expressed. But I want to to do them right. I hope their absence here can be excused for the time being.

So! Allow me to tell you a little about the week of Jan. 10th (January 10th was the day I received the phone call). Monday morning, Phil and I were getting a pretty slow start because we had worked late the night before. We had very glamourous plans to take the dog for a little walk and buy some milk. It's winter, though, so it takes a while to get out the door with all of the hats and mittens and wool.

Then the phone rang.

And suddenly, we were in New York.

I've had to speak to some reporters who have asked me if this whole award was made sweeter since I won it with a book Phil wrote. I said yes, which is an understatement of gigantic proportions. But what not everyone knows is that I have an extended family at Roaring Brook Press. Without Neal Porter, editor, I wouldn't be an illustrator. And he publishes many of my friends who I met working in a bookstore. Neal was asking me what I wanted to do for lunch the next day after flying in to the city. Phil and I said we wanted to do something very low key, so we went to the Chinese place around the corner from Neal's apartment. But one of the nicest parts about having the extended family at Roaring Brook is that he invited my dear friend George (who I met working at a bookstore) to lunch as well. And actually, without George O'Connor, author/illustrator, I wouldn't be an illustrator either.


That's George. And me. Eating Chinese food.


The next day the publisher took me out to the Gramercy Tavern. At this point Phil had to fly back to Michigan early because of the impending Nor'easter. So I was alone, but I think I got through it okay. It was difficult not having him speak for me (sorry Phil). But! We ate at the Gramercy Tavern in a private little room.


Truly one of the most, if not the most, delicious meals of my life. From what I can remember. Which is not much. At this point, I was still dizzy from the week, nervous, and pretty overwhelmed. So I took the pictures to make sure this was really happening.

I think I'm going to have to continue this story in another post. So please stay tuned!

In the meantime Phil and I have some events scheduled. If you're in the New York City area, we will be at the Powerhouse Arena Bookstore in Dumbo on February 12th from 4-5pm. For more information, please follow this link.

If you live in the Ann Arbor area, Nicola's Books has generously offered to throw us a party! We will be there March 8th at 6pm. More details to follow!

There will be some more events planned and I'll post them here.

A sincere thank you and apology to those who have written me emails and comments. I am desperately behind on emails but I'm working on it. And I might get some help.

That's it for now! Back to work!

ps. I think traffic to this blog may have picked up a bit in the last couple of weeks and I might have more readers than just my father-in-law. Hello, new stoppers-by. I'm Erin. I love books and work very hard at being an illustrator. My husband is a writer and illustrator-Philip. Mostly, I try to keep up with the work he makes.

8 comments:

  1. Great pictures! Were they taken with the Canon?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin,
    Congratulations! I just read the most glowing and raving reviews about your illustrations and Phil's writing in Sunday's Boston Globe. And yeah, I bet traffic's picked up a bit on your blog. I'm also an illustrator and stumbled across your work a few weeks ago and then this article etc. Yay! But I LOVE, LOVE your work. It just makes me smile. And your process is so wonderful combining woodblock printing and painting... Anyway, atta girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful to read about your Caldecott adventures, Erin! Congratulations! I found your blog by chance today when I was looking for something to share with my students. My blog post today is about reading A Sick Day for Amos McGee to my students: http://extendedlibraryjewelshelflife.blogspot.com/2011/02/noticing-balloonand-more.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. do you sell prints of your amos mcgee artwork erin? i'd love to frame some of your images on my 3 year old's wall. we both love that story - you are both so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  5. erin - we adore amos and every night, my 2.5 yr old says "amos! let's read amos! he plays chess(t) with the elephant." your work is so beautiful it nearly makes me teary. there is a sweetness and uniqueness that captures my heart -- for some reason, the characters are as dear as those i recall from Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society. thank you for sharing your talent with us. looking forward to meeting you at nicola's in march! i can't wait and hope you won't mind signing a stack of books. you and phillip are to be celebrated.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Erin!

    I was at the bookstore today and A Sick Day for Amos McGee caught my eye with it's gorgeously illustrated cover. I flipped through the pages to find the rest of book was filled with a style of illustration that made my heart ache. So I bought it, took it home and read it. I don't like to be dramatic, but I was literally transported to a very happy place.

    I don't know why but I imagined you and Philip were an old couple and that Philip was a real life zookeeper and that the book was written as a tribute to Philip's life long devotion to his friends at the zoo.

    Then I googled you and found that I was not even close :)

    I just wanted to share with you how much I enjoy and will continue to enjoy sharing it with others. I don't remember the last time I bought a children's book just for myself!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Erin. I am blown away by the beauty of your illustrations. I was at Border's today with my two sons and Amos McGee caught my eye....paging through it brought a knot into my throat and my eyes started stinging--as often happens when I see something that moves me with it's artistic beauty. Between your illustrations and your husband's storytelling I found myself wanting Amos to be my grandfather, or at least some real, tangible acquaintance! What a sweet character. Just like someone in a prior comment suggested, I think you should sell prints of your work! I too thought of framing your illustrations to put in my son's nursery.
    Keep up the beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I stumbled across "A Sick Day with Amos McGee" yesterday and it is such a lovely book! The story is wonderful and I can't stop looking at the pictures (I'm sure you hear that all the time). I can't wait for more of your work. I am already planning to read your book to my kindergarteners tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete